In 2011, the community approved a $21.7 million capital improvement project to upgrade their aging Junior/Senior High School. The school is physically and emotionally the “center of the community”, and used daily for both educational and community events. The project was constructed in multiple phrases, and completed in June 2014.
The original 1938 building is a handsome example of the Art Deco era. While a shining example from the exterior, many interior spaces had become dated, worn and no longer served the needs of the students or the District. The “main entry” to the school was an elevated, center-entrance, accentuated by a bell / clock-tower. This served earlier eras of neighborhood school and community members, but as the district grew in geography, and as times have changed, the main-entry no longer served as an accessible, secure, safe means of building access.
A new building addition, bus-loop, parent drop-off and parking areas were designed to accommodate a new, relocated Main Entry, Main Office, Cafeteria and Kitchen and Pool / Natatorium. The new addition provided continuous corridor connections to existing building wings. The additions and renovations offer flexible space to encourage collaborative spaces, consistent with 21st Century learning environments. The pool, gymnasium and cafeteria spill out into a large gathering node to accommodate large crowds.